VIA| 2015 is shaping up to be a record year for gun sales. And now, the person some consider the best salesman ever for guns — none other than President Barack Obama — is gearing up to give gun sales another potential spike.
President Obama’s big boss, Valerie Jarrett, says the president’s advisers are finalizing a proposal that would expand background checks on gun sales. Without congressional approval, of course.
Via The Blaze:
White House adviser Valerie Jarrett says the president has asked his team to complete a proposal and submit it for his review “in short order.” She says the recommendations will include measures to expand background checks.
Jarrett spoke Wednesday night at a vigil for the victims of the Newtown shooting, according to a summary provided by the White House.
After the mass shooting in Roseburg, Oregon, Obama said his team was looking for ways to tighten gun laws without a vote in Congress. White House officials have said they’re exploring closing the so-called “gun show loophole” that anti-gun advocates claim allows people to buy weapons at gun shows and online without a background check.
The move comes following the deadly terrorist attack in San Bernardino, California, that left 14 people dead. All of the guns used in the massacre were purchased legally. Opponents of new gun control regulations have argued that the proposals being pushed by Obama would not have prevented the tragedy or recent mass shootings.
The Washington Post’s Glenn Kessler concluded that Marco Rubio’s claim that gun control wouldn’t have prevented the mass shootings that have occurred in “last few months or years” is accurate.
“Rubio’s statement stands up to scrutiny — at least for the recent past, as he framed it. Notably, three of the mass shootings took place in California, which already has strong gun laws including a ban on certain weapons and high-capacity magazines,” Kessler wrote.
The Obama administration has maintained that strengthening background checks, banning semi-automatic rifles deemed “assault rifles” and revoking the Second Amendment rights of people on the “no-fly” list could prevent dangerous people from getting guns.
As The Blaze points out, the state where many of the mass shootings took place already has some of the strictest laws in the land, so it’s unlikely the president’s action would’ve prevented any of the recent tragedies.
And if recent history holds, news of the president’s executive action will only serve to further spike gun sales. As Time magazine reports, we’ve seen record-setting sales in recent weeks — even before the San Bernardino massacre:
On Black Friday, the FBI said it processed 185,345 gun background checks, the most recorded in a single day. In November, the FBI conducted 2,243,030 checks, one of the highest months on record, and for the year has processed 19,827,376. And that was all before the shootings in San Bernardino last week, which killed 14 and injured 21. Reports from several states show increased gun sales since then, and if the last few months are any indication, the FBI will likely process more gun background checks this year than any since it began conducting them almost two decades ago.
Ironic — and somewhat gratifying, too — isn’t, it, that even as President Obama pushes to make gun control a key part of his legacy, the real legacy here may be driving new levels of Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights.