But for an unfortunate pair of parents in Oklahoma, their 2-year-old toddler died just days after Christmas.
The little girl unexpectedly turned blue and started throwing up blood. Her parents rushed her to the hospital. Doctors examined her, did an x-ray, and realized a terrifyingly simple thing was killing her.
Just two days after Christmas 2015, Brianna Florer, 2, developed a fever. At first her parents, Brian and Stephanie Florer, didn’t worry – until she turned blue and threw up blood.
Her parents called 911, an ambulance arrived and rushed her to Grove Hospital. After having an x-ray, doctors realized the little girl had swallowed a button battery smaller than a dime.
She was transferred to another hospital for emergency surgery.
“They operated on her for 2 hours, but they couldn’t stop the bleeding,” explained Brianna’s grandfather, Kent Vice, according to Daily Mail. “They believed the battery ate through to her carotid artery by way of her esophagus.” He continued, “’One minute she is perfect, and the next minute she is dead. We had no idea when she swallowed it.”
While the official cause of death is pending an autopsy, “there were 11,940 cases of children swallowing batteries from 2005 to 2014,” and 15 of those children died from battery exposure. Usually, the battery leaves the body before causing lasting damage – but if the alkaline substance is released, it causes severe harm.
Grandfather Vice and her parents hope Brianna’s untimely death is a reminder to other families.
“I want to keep these things out of houses,” he admitted. “They are dangerous.”
A GoFundMe page was set up to help pay for the costs of the toddler’s unexpected funeral. At the time of this writing, they’ve raised $9,000.
What are some things you do to keep your children away from harmful substances?
SHARE your tips and tricks with us in the comments below!