VIA| A student high on miaow miaow stabbed his mother 11 times before cutting off his own penis at an ‘exceptional’ attack in their home.

Charles Mann launched the frenzied attack on his mother, Emma, in December 2013 after bingeing on the party drug and copious amounts of alcohol.

After stabbing his mother repeatedly the 21-year-old turned the knife on himself to cut off his genitalia and was heard shouting: ‘I love you but this is the prophecy’ near their home in Haywards Heath, West Sussex.


He was jailed for 16 months today after admitting Grievous Bodily Harm.

As her son entered the dock at Hove Crown Court, Ms Mann was seen mouthing ‘I love you’ in his direction.

She required surgery for multiple punctures to one of her lungs and was wounded on her arms, head and neck following the attack.

The court heard how she made a frantic 999 call at 6.20am on December 29, telling operators: ‘My son’s just attacked me and stabbed me and he’s going mental downstairs with the knives.’


Ms Mann was woken when her son returned home and began ‘trashing’ his room. The court heard how he followed her into the kitchen where he stabbed her 11 times.

The 21-year-old, who received treatment at a psychiatric facility before being transferred to Lewes Prison, was so high during the attack he was ‘not responding to pain’.

‘He was not reacting to pain and was described as manic and deranged,’ said prosecuting counsel Amy Packham.

When police arrived at the family home, he is said to have told officers: “I have stabbed her multiple times, I have killed her.

“I have stabbed my mum and I need to be punished for what I have done.”

‘He said he had taken miaow miaow, loads of lines of it, and a lot of alcohol. He appeared manic and deranged at the time.

He was said to have described himself as a ‘paedophile’ to police officers and begged: ‘I do not want to live.

‘Take me to the light, I can see the vampires.’

After pleading guilty to Grievous Bodily Harm at an earlier hearing the 21-year-old was jailed for 16 month, reduced to eight.

He will only serve another four weeks owing to the time already spent in custody.

Sentencing, judge David Rennie described the family’s case as ‘wholly exceptional’. Earlier Ms Mann spoke at the difficulty of seeing her son’s fate ‘already sealed’.

‘This case has a number of features which make it if not unique wholly exceptional. The lack of total awareness and capacity to form intent was the direct result of drug induced psychosis,’ said Judge Rennie.

‘I further recognise that in your psychotic state you inflicted life altering injuries on yourself and have taken this cocktail of drugs before without any particular side effects.

‘Your mother is an extraordinary human being who has conducted herself with enormous dignity, and I thank her very much indeed.’

David Etherington QC, representing Mann, said the defendant had become involved in taking drugs after completing his GCSEs and had spent time in The Priory trying to overcome his problem but had relapsed.

He told the court: ‘His parents even sent him to work on a kibbutz in Israel but the problems would come when he came home and fell in with the same crowd.’

He told the court Mann had had hallucinations on occasions after taking drugs but ‘had never had a reaction which caused him to be violent to another human being, particularly his mother who he loves very much and who he never had any conscious desire to hurt’.

Mr Etherington said Mann had relied on evidence of the attack because he had ‘virtually no coherent memory of what happened’.

He continued: ‘Looking back, in a mind that was very troubled at the time, he can only really rationalise it as being a suicide attempt by him in the grip of a delusion in which his mother somehow got involved.’

The court heard that although Mann had been ‘extremely mentally unwell at the time of the offence due to a drug induced psychosis” he had now recovered but remained “fragile and vulnerable.